Yesterday I wrote about how I spent my summers during college traveling around the country in a 15 passenger van. For the last 2 years of that time, I did some singing, but I mostly played the bass guitar as we toured around.

There were many memorable events during that time, and as I’ve been spending some time reminiscing, I’ve remembered one that stands out above the others in my mind.

We were probably 4 weeks in to our first summer tour as a newly minted rock band, and our concerts began to look the part. Our volume went up, the amount of running around and jumping on the stage increased, and things were hoppin!

We even took every opportunity to put the drums up on a riser like all the big boys did. That first year, we would grab whatever we could find when we got to the venue and try to build some type of 2-3 ft. platform for our drummer. It wasn’t really for the drummer per say, it was more for the lead singers Josh Buck and Micah Kephart to jump off of and stand on as they sang.

(A side note here. If you know Josh Buck, send up your prayers for him as he’s in the hospital having a rough go at it and could use some divine intervention. You can learn more on Facebook from the Bucks’ Ministry Page.)

We were playing the final concert of the venue in the 4th week of our tour. The kids were hyped up, the adults were into it and things were peachy. We were playing as hard as we could during our final song, and that’s where the wheels started to come off.

During the ramp up part of the song, our lead singer was feeling it! He jumped up on the drum riser and was hitting cymbals and singing at the top of his lungs. Adrenaline got the best of him, and he leaped off the drum riser and took a pose straight out of footloose in midair.

Lead Singer Jump

I was standing with my mouth agape watching him soar through the air when all of a sudden I got knocked back. After I was knocked back, I felt something hit me in the knee, and I had to look down to see what it was.

Turns out, our lead singer’s midair pose was absolutely perfect to match his knee with the stock of my guitar. The headstock of my guitar cracked in two, and two of my four strings were dangling from the guitar connected to the piece of broken headstock.

Needless to say, everyone’s mouth was agape now. I couldn’t think of anything better to do, so we just kept playing and finished the song. I still had two strings that were functional, so why not, right?

We all stood around and stared at my new/broken guitar and wondered what to do since we were due the very next day at another venue.  I wasn’t flush with cash either, since I was but a young college student.

We made a call to our college friend Chris Collier over at IRC Music in Indianapolis, and they came to the rescue. We were going to be driving from Michigan to Kentucky I believe that next day, and he told us that they could save the day.

We drove down to Indy and I took both pieces of my guitar into the store with me to see what could be done. Chris and Rick (Chris’ Dad) took a look and told me that they could insert a rod and fix the bass and even help me sell it.

I started to look around the showroom for what would be my next bass, and I found her. (In case you didn’t know, bass guitars are female.)

That guitar was the lady in red, and I was ready to dance with her. Chris and Rick gave me a stellar deal and gave me credit already counting on the fact that the repaired bass would sell for a good price.

We were back in business, and on our way to the next engagement.

What I Learned: I couldn’t think of anything much worse at the time of being a musician without my axe. I had just bought the thing and it was sitting there in front of me in two pieces. I learned that great things can come from misfortune. Great friends who are willing to help you out in a time of need are worth their weight in gold.